Wednesday 15 August 2012

Brand new Sooty DVD - in actual shops!

This one really crept up on me. I've been trying to get a DVD into the shops for years, and thus far my only plausible option has been to sneak into HMV and discretely deposit my home-made volumes on their shelves. And walk out. (Not that I've ever attempted this.)

Of course I'd remembered The Sooty Show DVD was coming, (August 14th, my sister's birthday!), but I'd forgotten that it was actually going to be 'commercial.' As in, I can now visit a high street store and pose next to something I've written, (well, co-written.)
The new Sooty DVD from Abbey Home Media, NOT
Skerratt Media, although the names are... similar.

Notice I said 'pose next to.' This fabulous news comes hand-in-hand with the hilarious irony that I can't actually afford to buy a copy!

And I'm not fishing for sympathy here. My financial predicament is self-induced, on account of the enormous cost of my last project. But when I say 'hilarious irony,' I absolutely, genuinely mean it. It cracks me up! In a good way!

I am disappointed that I won't be getting my free magic wand as I can think of several uses for it, many of them at the Co-operative, but more on that later.

To business! Let me say a bit about this fine selection of episodes. I'm assuming Richard Cadell (presenter and executive producer) made the choice, and I can honestly say I couldn't have picked better. Okay, I'm biased, but from the point of view of a writer, as well as fan, I feel they're our strongest five.

As I haven't seen the DVD, (just thought I'd mention it), I'm basing the following on having watched the eps live, and on Amazon's product listing!

So we kick off with Chocco Chimp, unless you're hmv.com and then the *entire* DVD is called Chocco Chimp, (pah, they're not FANS!) This is my favourite of the whole series, not, I hasten to add, because of the wonderful Matthew Corbett's cameo, (he was the presenter before Richard Cadell), but because, for me, this one has the complete package: a story-driven script, lots of humour, (both dialogue and slapstick), and some gorgeous visuals, (the whole thing takes place in a safari park-themed crazy golf course, with Sooty dressed as Sherlock Holmes!) It really is the ultimate episode for Sooty fans old and new. Plus, out of all of them, this one was the most fun to write.

Next is The Runaway Bath, in which Richard very nearly killed me. I had flu at the time, very badly, and had been in bed for days, (okay you can show some sympathy now if you like. Also I can't afford the DVD.) When I suggested that Richard should talk "donkey" to his furry friends on the beach, he went one step further and devised a song, which he stood up and sang for us, with a dance. Bear in mind how difficult it is to breathe ordinarily when you have flu, then combine with that feeling we all know - laughing-so-hard-that-it-hurts! - and you have an actual, genuine near-death experience. But what a way to go it would have been! Plus this episode has a bath tub on wheels, which is cool.

Third is The Wedding. Originally called Mo's Wedding. And then Richard's Wedding. Out of all the episodes, this one went through the most drafts, (close runner-up, I think, is The Great Race.) I think it all takes place in some weird, parallel world, (like something out of Fringe), where Stacey Solomon is a church vicar, and where people say "I will" instead of "I do." I don't know how the latter came about. I do remember having a very long and detailed conversation about it with Richard, by the end of which we had intelligently concluded it was the only logical way to go. And at the time it made perfect sense! Watching it now... hmm! Unsure. Tiny niggles though, let's be fair. The Wedding is another of my favourites.

Fourthly, The Swimming Lesson. Sweep parachuting off the diving board was inspired, and I'm allowed to say that because it wasn't my idea!

Finally, it's The Marching Band. This was the second episode we wrote, (the first was The New Ride, albeit in a very different form), and when I first watched it, I did feel a bit uncomfortable, as I think it's obvious that we're still 'finding our feet' as writers. It's at those moments when I'm unable to just be a Sooty fan and I become my own worst critic. It probably isn't obvious to the outside world. That said - what's not to like! There are some wonderful cameos from fellow scribe Winkleton Taylorson, and some hysterical visuals, (the gang look superb in their band uniforms.) The first draft had an elderly trombone player being hoisted aloft by a beserk crane. "Too expensive" apparently. Bah! The devil's in the detail!

If you're lucky enough to be able to afford this (boom boom!), head on down to your local Asda, (where it's currently charting at number 1 I'm told!), or if you're an Amazon junkie, please consider ordering via the link on this page http://www.facebook.com/sootysweepandsoo to support the Sooty fan community on Facebook.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment