Monday 20 May 2013

Another Sooty DVD Hits the Shelves

Carnage broke out in Leeds last night as keen Sooty fans stormed the Headrow, desperate to pitch their overnight tents as close as possible to HMV's doors in the hopes of becoming the first to lay their hands on this high-profile DVD release. This morning, staff were overwhelmed and stockists struggled to meet demand as the latest Sooty compilation - 'The Children's Party' - sold a record 19 million copies in just three hours...

Storming up the charts...? The new Sooty
DVD - out now!
My advice to you is simple: order your copy NOW, before society breaks down and looters take to the streets.

Published by the stalwarts of Sooty series one, Abbey Home Media, 'The Children's Party' is available for a dizzyingly reasonable £7.25, (roughly the price of a chocolate bar), and, if you don't fancy braving the HMV flashmobs, you can order your copy from Amazon, from the comfort of your own home, safe from the jet of Dave Cam's water cannon.

But, faithful reader - you might be in two minds as to whether to purchase the DVD that everyone's talking about. Is it any good? Is it funny? Is it safe...? Let me tell you about the episodes involved, and set your troubled minds at rest...

The Children's Party
The eponymous episode. I must admit, I recently confessed to Richard Cadell, (Sooty's right-hand man), that, out of all the episodes we wrote, this one was actually my least favourite. But that's a bit like saying, 'I won some money on a scratch card - it was my least favourite victory.' It's still Sooty, even if it's not Oscar-winning Sooty. My criticisms? They're scanty, in fairness. I'm a sucker for a tight story, with jokes that make you groan, and people slipping on banana skins, going "yeaaaaaargh..." And this episode was certainly more about the visuals and the routines. But hey, they're good, and the whole thing is very colourful and pretty. Watch it for the drink-pouring routine.

Beach Patrol
I could be wrong, but I think this was the last script we wrote for the series, (or, at least, the last one I worked on, before returning to Co-operatraz...) I can remember it well - the final day of writing at Office Cadell, the light starting to fade, the work pile mounting... But, you know, by 9 o'clock at night, you're so high on caffeine and sugar, if someone told you to bungee jump off a cliff, with no rope into a pit of snakes and glass, you're far more likely to go "yeah, man - sweet!" to the accompaniment of a Heath Ledger cackle. So we knuckled down and formed two factions - Wink Taylor and Richard C began bashing out 'The Farm', whilst I set to work on this sandy number. And it contains one of my favourite bits of dialogue EVER, in anything from history, (Darth Vader, you've got nothing...) "Who's running this beach?!" Frank Bruno exclaims, in his role as a disgruntled sand sculptor, going big on the camp. The thing is, I don't remember writing it! It's far too funny to have been me. Not that it matters. I'm just so glad those words exist...

Pizza to Go
A Wink Taylor special, with a side order of Cole, (Brendan Cole, that is, giving an inspired performance as the Italian designer Valentino du Prado.) I love so much about this episode, especially Richard's crazed expression as he cranks the Pizza machine to maximum, going almost wild-eyed as the smoke builds up around him. Of course, this is followed by the inevitable explosion of ingredients, covering Mr C in tomato sauce and cheese. "Looks like dinner's on Richard...!" says Soo. (Cue groan...!)

The Wendy House
I didn't have much to do with this episode, which is a shame in a way; my DIY disasters are many in number. (Just ask my sister about the bookshelf I built... with ears!) But there are some funny painting routines, with lots of 'old skool' goofery from Sooty and Sweep. And keep your eyes peeled for a couple of surprising cameos, which will delight and amuse many a Sooty fan of old...

Who's a Clever Bird
Guest starring Norman Barrett, and his team of performing budgies! Seriously - they're incredible. Now I've never met Mr Barrett - and I've heard only good things - but there's a wonderful 'deleted scene' where Norman's character, having just arrived on stage, takes off his gloves and hands them to Sooty, who promptly tosses them over his shoulder. Norman, clearly incensed, then turns and gives the bear the most wonderful scowl a la Harry Callahan, as the audience erupts in a spontaneous explosion of laughter! And it was cut! Bah. Although I can sort of see why - are the pre-schoolers quite ready for San Francisco's most fearless law enforcer...? Probably not. That said, there's a scene later on where Mr Barrett, enraged at the misbehaviour of his birds, decides he's going to "sort them out" with his fearsome cannon on wheels, ready to blow the little blighters off their perch...! In short, if your ideal Sooty episode is somewhere between Doctor Dolittle and Magnum Force, then this is the one for you!

So there you are folks! I hope I've persuaded you to brave the high street, (or the internet!) It's a great DVD to get if you have kids. In fact it's a great DVD to get even if you don't!

What are you waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment